Chicago Neurological Services
Dr. Lenny Cohen
Neurology located in Roscoe Village, Chicago, IL & Oak Park, Oak Park, IL
Many health issues benefit from infusion therapy to deliver medication, but these treatments can be expensive. Experienced board-certified neurologist Lenny Cohen, MD, and his team at Chicago Neurological Services offers intravenous (IV) therapy at their Chicago office to treat various conditions, including multiple sclerosis (MS), rheumatoid arthritis, and Crohn’s disease. By offering IV therapy at the practice under physician supervision, the team can save you both time and money. To learn more about IV therapy from the patient-centered team, call the office or book an appointment online today.
Harnessing Biologic Medications in Neurology: A Comprehensive Guide
The landscape of neurology is continuously evolving, with the advent of biologic medications marking a significant milestone in the treatment of various neurological disorders. Biologic therapies, derived from living organisms or their components, offer targeted approaches to manage complex conditions. Just a few years ago it was unimaginable to have therapy for some debilitating conditions like Multiple Sclerosis and ALS, while now it is a standard of care with a number of biologic agents available across the board for a variety of neurological diseases. Experienced board-certified neurologist Lenny Cohen, MD, and his team at Chicago Neurological Services offers intravenous (IV) therapy at their Chicago office to treat various neurological conditions.
In this article, we delve into the utilization of biologic medications across different neurological disorders, including Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) and Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP), Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), intractable migraine headaches, and mild Alzheimer's disease.
- Tysabri, Ocrevus, and Briumvi in Multiple Sclerosis (MS): Multiple Sclerosis is a chronic autoimmune disease affecting the central nervous system, characterized by inflammation, demyelination, and neurodegeneration. Biologic medications like Tysabri (natalizumab), Ocrevus (ocrelizumab), and Briumvi (ofatumumab) have revolutionized MS treatment by targeting specific components of the immune system. Tysabri works by inhibiting the migration of immune cells into the brain, reducing inflammation. Ocrevus selectively depletes B cells, modulating the immune response. Briumvi, a newer addition, also targets B cells, offering an alternative for patients with inadequate response to other therapies.
- IV Ig for Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) and Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP): GBS and CIDP are autoimmune disorders characterized by peripheral nerve damage due to inflammation. Intravenous immunoglobulin (IV Ig) therapy involves administering high doses of antibodies derived from pooled human plasma. IV Ig works by modulating the immune response, suppressing autoantibody production, and mitigating inflammation. In GBS, IV Ig is often used as a first-line treatment, accelerating recovery and reducing disability. Similarly, in CIDP, IV Ig helps alleviate symptoms and stabilize disease progression, particularly in patients resistant to other treatments.
- Radicava for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS): ALS is a progressive neurodegenerative disease affecting motor neurons, leading to muscle weakness and paralysis. Radicava (edaravone) is a biologic medication approved for ALS, offering antioxidative and neuroprotective properties. Radicava scavenges free radicals, reducing oxidative stress and preserving motor function. Although not a cure, Radicava has shown modest benefits in slowing disease progression and improving quality of life for ALS patients, representing a significant advancement in ALS management.
- Vyepti for Intractable Migraine Headaches: Intractable migraine headaches pose a significant burden on patients' quality of life, often refractory to conventional treatments. Vyepti (eptinezumab) is a monoclonal antibody targeting calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP), a key mediator of migraine pathophysiology. By blocking CGRP, Vyepti reduces the frequency and severity of migraine attacks. Administered intravenously every few months, Vyepti provides long-lasting relief for patients with chronic migraines, offering a promising therapeutic option in migraine management.
- Lequembi for Mild Alzheimer's Disease: Alzheimer's disease is a progressive neurodegenerative disorder characterized by cognitive decline and memory impairment. Lequembi (lecanemab) is a newly approved biologic medication targeting amyloid-beta plaques, a hallmark feature of Alzheimer's pathology. Lequembi binds to and clears amyloid-beta aggregates from the brain, potentially slowing disease progression in mild Alzheimer's cases. While not a cure, Lequembi represents a significant advancement in Alzheimer's treatment, offering hope for preserving cognitive function and improving patients' quality of life.
Biologic medications have transformed the landscape of neurological care, offering targeted and effective treatments for a range of conditions including MS, GBS, CIDP, ALS, intractable migraines, and mild Alzheimer's disease. As research continues to unravel the complexities of neurological disorders, the development and utilization of biologic therapies hold promise for improving patient outcomes and enhancing quality of life. Through ongoing innovation and collaboration, the field of neurology is poised to witness further advancements in biologic medications, ushering in a new era of precision medicine for neurological diseases.
At Chicago Neurological Services we are committed to your health and well-being. That is why we are the only infusion center in Chicago that offers services 7 days a week to accommodate our patient’s busy schedule. We provide personalized care and treatment protocols for a long-term, sustainable health benefits.
Conditions and Treatments
Alzheimers & Dementiamore info
Hyperbaric Therapy (HBOT)more info
IV Medical Therapymore info
Migraines & Headachesmore info
Multiple Sclerosismore info
Neuropathy & Neuralgiamore info
Autonomic Testingmore info
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)more info